2019 Julep Shindig Weekend
When: April 18 – 21, 2019
Bourbon Country beckons with a tour of the historic 1792 Barton Distillery, a day at the races, meet and greet with the Triple Crown winning American Pharoah, Southern food, and (of course) Bourbon, April 18th – 21st, 2019.
Escape to the birthplace of bourbon and interact with the founders of the Bourbon Lifestyle, the publishers of The Bourbon Review magazine, during this long weekend you are sure to never forget. This experience includes authentic Southern celebrations and behind-the-scenes access to Kentucky’s world-famous Bourbon and horse industries.
- Private tour of Coolmore's Ashford Stud horse farm, home of 2014 Triple Crown & Breeder's Cup winner, American Pharoah (also home to Justify, winner of the 2018 Triple Crown)
- VIP tour of 1792 Barton Distillery with Master Distiller Danny Kahn (former Dir. of Brewing, Sierra Nevada)
- Sensory-forward culinary Bourbon pairing with country ham, figs, cheese & artisan chocolates, held inside Barrel Warehouse 32, at 1792 Barton Distillery
- Julep Shindig Brunch, a celebration of the Mint Julep with a special guest chef & local bartenders curating various interpretations of this classic cocktail, alongside cured meats and a tater-tot bar
- Grandstand Experience at Keeneland Racetrack
- Package includes 3 nights at the award-winning 21c Hotel + Art Museum
HORSES & BOURBON
A visit to Kentucky is never complete without a trip to Horse Country. On Friday, April 19th, you’ll get VIP access to one of the world’s most celebrated horse farms, Coolmore’s Ashford Stud. You’ll get a chance to get up close and personal with some of the greatest living thoroughbreds – including a meet and greet with Triple Crown – winning American Pharaoh – and see their lavish way of living once they retire from racing and go on to a career in breeding.
AP (as he is known in Horse Country), who currently commands a $200,000 stud fee, broke the 37-year draught for a horse to win the Triple Crown, and even did one better by becoming the first horse ever to win the “Grand Slam” by adding the Breeder’s Cup Classic trophy for his owners.
After a genteel country lunch amongst the rolling hills of the Bluegrass, you'll enjoy a VIP tour at 1792 Barton Distillery, where the time-honored traditions of Bourbon-making are preserved & celebrated. You'll taste straight from the barrel, after seeing the step-by-step distillation process and walking the barrel warehouses.
In addition to the tasting, there will be a sensory-culinary pairing with multiple expressions from the 1792 Barton list of labels. Think of this as part 2 of the tasting experience at 1792 Barton Distillery, but set in the context of a cheese, country ham & Bourbon pairing; followed by a bacon ‘fat-washed’ 1792 Small Batch Bourbon Old Fashioned, paired with homemade pork grinds.
A DAY AT THE RACES
Pick your favorite horse and don your best fedora or other big hat – it’s both decadent, AND depraved (so said author Hunter S. Thompson). On Saturday, April 20th, you’ll start the day with a pre-race Julep Shindig Brunch, at Belle’s Cocktail House, one of America’s Top Bourbon Bars. An annual tradition, the Julep Shindig Brunch is a celebration of the Mint Julep featuring a special guest chef & local bartenders curating various interpretations of this classic cocktail, alongside cured meats and a tater-tot bar. The founders of The Bourbon Review will be on hand to show you the best of the Bourbon lifestyle. Can you hear the ice being hand-chipped, or the metal shaker being tossed? Or perhaps the freshly-picked mint sprigs have captured your attention?
Apres brunch, you’ll be shuttled to Keeneland, an ivy-lined cathedral of Tudor-inspired architecture to watch some of the best horse racing the industry has to offer. The paddock inside the track is a great place to see the ponies up close (and also people watch). Keeneland is where American Pharoah capped his Grand Slam and won the 2014 Breeder's Cup. But it’s also got great food & drinks; don't forget to sample the Bourbon Bread Pudding, and ask for a little extra sauce. It complements the Mint Juleps perfectly, as you weigh your next trifecta bet. Pro-Tip: check out the ultra-classy gift shop for inspiring ideas or that horsebit pashmina.
THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Three nights at the stately 21c Lexington (an award-winning boutique hotel). Offer is valid for two guests only.
- Two tickets to The Bourbon Review Julep Shindig. Guests will indulge in the multiple Bourbon expressions from 1792 Barton Distillery, cocktails, and traditional Southern fare. All participants must be at least 21 years of age to attend.
- VIP tour of Coolmore's Ashford Stud horse farm, along with transportation and lunch.
- Meet and greet with the Sports Illustrated 2015 Athlete of the Year, the Triple-Crown winning American Pharoah at Ashford Stud
- Private culinary & Bourbon tasting at 1792 Barton Distillery; co-hosted by The Bourbon Review Co-Founders AND Master Distiller Danny Kahn (former brewer, Sierra Nevada)
- VIP tour of 1792 Barton Distillery with a walk through Warehouse “H”
- Two-year subscription to The Bourbon Review, an award-winning lifestyle publication that covers the art, science, and people of American whiskey. Subscription includes eight issues of the print magazine.
- Bourbon Traveler package, including the bottle tote & 2 wide-mouth glencairn tasting glasses
- Taxes and event gratuities are included.
Rooms feature one king bed or two queen four-post beds with Tempur-Pedic mattresses and fine linens. All rooms are decorated with post-modern art, and feature all the amenities you could expect from a high end boutique hotel. Artwork from the region adorns the walls, and there is a thought-provoking public art museum on the second floor. Don’t forget to stop into Lockbox, the landmark restaurant by Executive Chef Jonathan Searle, located in the lobby of the 21c Lexington hotel. Modern bathrooms are spacious, well lit, and equipped with luxe bathrobes and European toiletries. Amenities include a flat-screen TV with cable channels, high-speed wireless Internet, air conditioning, and more.
FOR EXTRA NIGHTS, please email email@example.com to coordinate.
MAKE YOUR PLANS:
Check-in to the 21c Lexington Hotel is anytime after 4 pm EST on Thursday, April 18th. On Friday, April 19, 2019, you will be picked up at the 21c Lexington for your exclusive bourbon & food pairings at 1792 Barton Distillery, AND the private tour of Coolmore’s Ashford Stud horse-farm (lunch included). On Saturday, April 20th, 2019, you’ll be escorted to the Julep Shindig Brunch at Belle’s Cocktail House in downtown Lexington, followed by the Grandstand experience at Keeneland Racetrack. You will check out on Sunday, April 21st, 2019.
- Taxes and event gratuities are included. Gratuities for your hotel stay are not included.
- Package does not include transportation to/from regional hotels; nor does it include travel to/from Lexington, Ky.
- All participants must be at least 21 years of age to attend.
- Details subject to change.
- All sales final; no refunds, exchanges or substitutions for future Shindig weekends.